Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Skoúpa!

Half way through already- I can't believe it! Although its been quite a short period of time I can't even begin to explain the amount of things I've learned. First of all I would like to say that I am very proud of my extensive seven word Greek vocabulary: Geia sas (hello), farasi (flutter), skoúpa (broom), parakalo (please), efxaristo (thank you), karotsi (wheelbarrow), and kasmas (pick-axe). In reality, yes I am well aware this would not get me very far, however on site they are encorporated into casual conversation and are useful to know as most people here enjoy speaking Greek-english. Being an anthropology major, particularily interested in zooarchaeology, I applied to EBAP without having any knowledge regarding Greek and Roman studies or anything it entails. However, after being here a few weeks learning new fun facts each day and having visited a few of the amazing museums in Athens with my own personal amazing museum tour guide Mina (haha) I now somewhat understand everyone's extreme enthusiasm toward pottery. On an average day the majority of the findings consists of many different kinds of pottery as well as large amounts of bone dug up from the trenches, which usually makes for an exciting evening when we get to wash them and see what pottery stage and which animals the bone came from :) Its been a great summer, the people are amazing and EBAP has been an incredible experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment